Monday, September 26, 2011

In the Know: Fashion Flash Sale Sites



Lately, I have spoken with a number of my friends who aren't familiar with any of the fashion flash sale sites. Gasp! I thought I would take this opportunity to tell you about my favorites. For those of you have been perusing these sites for years, sorry if I bore you.



First, what is a flash sale site? Flash sale sites require you to be a member, although membership is as easy as signing up. Everyday, they have selected a handful of designers or a particular style they are featuring at deeply disounted prices. It could be Michael Kors or it could be fall booties. But these sales only last for two days (or less) and the prices are hot! (Many items sell out in minutes.)

There are too many sites to keep track of now, and I have found myself cutting back on the emails I get, because I was feeling overwhelmed by all of the flash sale sites. The reason for the influx of flash sale sites is their wild popularity. ideeli.com was the fastest growing business in the US (according to Inc. magazine) with over 40,000% growth over the last three years. (I did not accidentally add an extra zero.) They blew all of the other companies out of the water. Consumer spending habits have changed and flash sales are capturing huge market share. Once you see the selection and prices, you will see why

Here are my favorite flash sale sites, in no particular order.



Ruelala.com: Ruelala carries items for men, women, travel, home, and now littles. Ruelala seems to be the site where I purchase the most from. (This is true for my boyfriend as well.) I don't know if it is, because their brands are more accessible, their site easier to navigate, or they just have better stuff. Some of the other sites have too many offerings and I feel like Ruelala is manageable. They have good customer service. (They need to make it so you can sort by size. This is a big negative.)



Gilt.com: Gilt is the fancy pants site. You can get a couture dress, something ridiculous for your little, a trip to Bora Bora, and now with Gilt Taste, delicious food offerrings. Gilt functions super well, is sexy, and has drool worthy pieces not found on the other sites. (Overlap is now becoming a problem, because sites lose their relevance when you see the same stuff a week later on another site.) Gilt is the creme de la creme. Sometimes, that means you aren't buying as much, because a $6,000 dress is a a steal at $900, but its still $900. They mix it up though and there are plenty of pieces within reach. Definitely worth checking out.



Onekingslane.com: Home decorating things that will make you swoon. Couches, throw pillows, cookware, you name it. All with an eye for design and usually things you won't see elsewhere. I am a big fan. Now I just need to build my dream home so I can start decorating it...



Fab.com: This is a newer site, but they have done a good job with editing. Their offerings are super modern, design oriented, and hip. Rarely do you see things you have seen elsewhere and often they are lines I have not even heard of before. (But am glad I know about them now.) Fab.com is the indie, hip flash sale site. They have succeeded in coming late to the party and making a name for themselves.



Hautelook.com, billiondollarbabes.com, beyondtherack.com, etc. have not done as much to keep my interest. They seem to have the same things I have seen on the other sites in a less organized or visually appealing way. I have cancelled my subscriptions to these sites. But I know plenty of people who like them, so you will have to decide for yourself.

Which sites do you like? Do you think flash sales are ruining shopping or making it that much better? I would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment