Friday, January 21, 2011

Dieting: WTF



I have always been about the same weight. I eat responsibly (well, at least kind of responsibly), work out, have never been skinny, but have never been fat. (Except the time I lived in Australia. Sister would be happy to tell you about how chubby I was when I returned. What can I say... I like ice cream.) I don't weigh myself and although, I have parts I would like to a be a little smaller, as a rule, I accept my body for what it is.



The other day, I decided to weigh myself. (Not quite sure what brought that on. A bout of stupidity, I guess.) You can imagine my shock (and horror) when I looked down at the scale and I was 10 pounds heavier. WTF. I don't gain weight. I don't lose it either, but I certainly can't be 10 pounds heavier. After I got over the shock, I started brainstorming what the cause of this could be. Is this what happens when you turn 30? Is it the large quantities of wine I drink... occasionally? (It has been a tough couple of years!) Do I eat too many carbs? Do I eat too much fat? Oh crap. I have to start thinking about my diet.

Many of my family members have been eating Paleo for about a year now for health and weight reasons. My mom has lost 15 lbs. My aunt closer to 30. And my dad says he has more energy and less crashes throughout the day. Eating paleo means you eat like a caveman. Pretty much meat, nuts, fruit, and veggies. No bread, no pasta, no dairy. Considering that everything I normally eat consists of one of the "don'ts" this diet never sounded remotely appealing. (Horrible really.) I would rather have a root canal.

But after staring down at the scale (and then a couple of other scales, because my first assumption was the scale was broken. Duh.) I decided, desperate times call for desperate measures. I jumped on the paleo bandwagon. I didn't jump on it. Really, it is dragging me behind kicking and screaming. I haven't embraced the lifestyle, but I am playing along in hopes of shedding my "winter weight."

I decided right away, I could only take the paleo thing so far. I would still eat dairy, alcohol, and corn. Because I have to have a tortilla or something to put all of the meat and veggies in. I have been eating paleo for 9 months now. Okay. It has only been 9 days. It sucks. I do not recommend it, unless you are trying to undergo some sort of Buddhist suffering exercise. My saving graces: frozen yogurt and champagne. Otherwise, I think I might die.



I will keep you posted on my progress. If I don't start looking like Christina Applegate circa 1995 within the next couple of weeks, you will find me at the Olive Garden eating all-you-can-eat pasta and bread sticks.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. I would rather give up meat and most dairy. Those are the food items that pack the calories and especially fat calories. I'm reading a great book right now about reversing diabetes (which I don't have). It's the third time I've read a book that promotes vegan eating, and they are all so convincing. That said, I'm all about moderation so I will probably always embrace a little bit of animal products... only the good stuff. (Ice cream, super yummy cheese and an amazing steak). Good luck and I hope you get the benefits that make the change worth while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenni:
    I am with you. Moderation is the key. I will likely go back to that and just try and add more exercise, vegetables and lean protein to my diet. (I think the biggest benefit of paleo is it forces you to cook. And LOTS of good veggies.)

    My cousin has been vegan for about a year now, because of the decreased risk of cancer. She has read tons about the benefits and likes the way it makes her feel. Some of my paleo relatives totally disagree. Always two sides to the story.

    I think the key is finding something that feels good for you. All of our bodies are different, whether it is blood type, genetics, heritage, or something else. I don't really like meat and could probably live on an Asian diet of fish, rice, veggies, etc. (and ice cream and champagne :) My sister loves meat. We're all different.

    Just don't stop making those chocolate covered cookie dough ball things. Mmmmmm :) Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete