Friday, March 4, 2011

BHLDN: Anthropolgie Gets Married





Did you know Anthropologie is doing weddings and formal wear now? My ever-fashionable mother, Sweet Peach, told me about it as we were watching some bad TLC show about bitchy women picking out overpriced taffeta. BHLDN is Anthro's new formal/bridal line. Their website dropped on Valentine's Day this year and there has been lots of press both positive and negative.



I was engaged once. Some of you know that. Others don't. Planning a wedding and then cancelling it is one of those experiences you wouldn't wish upon anyone, but you wouldn't trade for anything. I did the whole "wedding dress shopping thing." I realized quickly the only bridal dresses I liked were not just a few thousand dollars, but tens of thousands of dollars. Think Sex and the City. To each their own, but I couldn't justify spending a fraction of that on a dress I would only wear once.

I purchased one of Betsey Johnson's first bridal dresses, because it was the closest I was going to get to couture without the price tag. It was fabulous, but it fit me like the relationship: nice on the hanger, but it kind of pinched in the wrong places. And it was still white and strapless, which I just wasn't into. (If you are wondering what I did with the damn thing after I got "un-engaged," I was lucky enough to have purchased the dress through a friend, and she was able to return it. Woo hoo!) I never loved the dress, and I realized if I ever decided to tie the knot (and picked the right guy) I would be going the very non-traditional route in the dress department.



For now, I will leave the bridal wear to you all. I can oogle the shoes and cocktail dresses. But check out BHLDN. Tell me what you think. Did Anthro nail it or miss the mark?

P.S. A little secret between you and me... This was my wedding dress. Pretty sassy, huh? Someday, I will likely have the urge to wear a wedding dress again. Until then... cheers!


4 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with the Anthropologie dresses! I think they nailed it, and if I were to marry Honeydew all over again, I'd be interested in their wares, as I think they say "modern, very special occasion" without edging towards Disney. Marriage is many things, but I have not found it be a Disney fantasy.

    Like you, the only "wedding dresses" I thought were truly fabulous would have cost me more than the down payment on my house did, so I settled for a J.Crew clearance special, and cases of fabulous wine, in compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! you always pick the most interesting topics to post about

    ReplyDelete
  3. that top dress is almost enough for me to divorce sam and marry him again. i saw it last month and contemplated that for a while...

    ReplyDelete