Monday, March 28, 2011

Working Naked



Working from home has lots of benefits. When you get hungry, you head to the kitchen. When you don't want to get dressed, you can wear your pajamas all day. You can go to the gym at off hours. Your dog never gets lonely. If you are so inclined, you can enjoy a glass of wine while working late into the evening. And the best part is: you don't have to pay office rent!

When I started Bon Lemon, a big part of my philosophy was keeping overhead low, so I could offer great prices to Bon Lemon's customers. Working from home was the perfect solution. After awhile, the permanent blanket of baubles, price tags, and invoices decorating my dining room table lost it's luster. (Eating standing up at the counter is really not that cool unless you are a 13 year old boy eating cereal.) The three computers, price scanners, label printers, fax machine, and other office machines that have made their home in my living room are no longer welcome. I love the flexibility of being my own boss, but am anxious for a little 200 square foot office/closet I can call my own. And then, occasionally, I will lock the door at my office and come home. And eat at my dining room table. Gasp.

Soon, Bon Lemon will have an office. (Where that will be is the question of the hour.) We hope people will continue to spread the Bon Lemon love so it makes sense for us to let the house be a home again. I have found some great tips about working from home at www.workingnaked.com. February 1 is National Working Naked day. (How awesome is that.) National Working Naked Day allows all of us "non-commuters" to celebrate the freedoms associated with working from home. And if you find yourself surfing Facebook too much or losing your will to participate in even the most basic personal hygiene routines, workingnaked.com has some great tips and suggestions.

Signing off, in the buff, from home. (After a fun filled day of data entry.) Dreaming of an office. Where I have to brush my teeth before 2:00 PM and wear clothing. Crazy talk.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT post, humorous and informative! Congrats on soon getting an office, I hope the transition goes smoothly! XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Brian Duerr (Marissa's husband) might be getting out of his office space. I have no idea if it would be a fit for you but you could definitely find out.
    Good luck finding the right space!

    ReplyDelete