Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Semester at Sea Reunion



Ten years ago, I circumnavigated the globe on a ship on Semester at Sea. My Semester at Sea friends and I experienced 9/11 together, cheating cab drivers, fabulous restaurants, the townships of South Africa, a private party with Fidel Castro, monsoons off the coast of Japan, and many a night looking at the sea.

The bond you make on Semester at Sea reminds me of what it would be like to bond with friends in boot camp. You have crazy times and boring times, and through it all, you've just got each other. We can pick up after many years without missing a beat. My SAS friends (SASers as we call ourselves) have been getting together regularly for the past ten years. Sometimes for vacation. Sometimes for weddings. Now that everyone is older, it is harder to schedule a wild weekend in Vegas or a ski trip to Jackson Hole, so this year we went for something a little more sedate. A "bring your kids if you want and we will drink wine and catch up girls' weekend."

I am currently in Dallas, waiting to board my flight to Fayetteville to reunite with my Semester at Sea friends in Holden Beach, North Carolina. Our friend has a beach house there and it seemed like a natural place to congregate. I can't wait to see these girls! There is never a dull moment. I (almost) finished my taxes and sent all of my Bon Lemon postcards on the last leg of the flight. Thank goodness for laptops and having a mobile business! I can get just as much done here as I do at home. (But there may be some breaks for sauvingon blanc this weekend :) See you soon!



2 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time! I love Holden Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what to expect. I should have consulted with you prior to packing :)

    ReplyDelete