Friday, April 22, 2011

Van's: Can a burger be pretty?



Since, I have decided to dedicate my blog content to all things pretty and today I want to talk about Van's Burger, I have to contemplate what makes a Van's burger pretty. For those of you who haven't been to Van's, it is two little drive through stands out on Yelm Highway in Olympia. They are only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and only for part of the year. They have an absolute cult following and it is not unheard of to wait 45 minutes to get a hot burger and creamy shake. This is also the place of hand dipped corn dog legend. See my blog post from last year.

One of the things I like about Van's is the venue. The cute little "huts" are right by a driving range and after you get your burger you can pull your car up and watch people shank balls. They also have some kids toys that I am quite certain were the product of a mid-nineties, late-night heist at Burger King. (Think Hamburglar.) Pretty might be a stretch, but Van's is darn cute.



Another pretty thing at Van's is the burgers. I went out on a limb and forewent my beloved corn dog to give the burgers a shot. Crisp lettuce, a fluffy bun, and that unidentifiable milky pink sauce made for an eye-appealing meal. And tasty too! They even gave me a complimentary half order of fries. (I was trying to be good and didn't order them, I swear. Of course, I ate them. Children in China are starving.)



There are lots of pretty things about Van's from the people to the food to the place. But my favorite thing is the "puppy patties." They save their extra burger and cook it up for your dog. How cute is that? This is Dolce patiently waiting to eat his. Quite pretty, if I do say so myself.

Can a burger be pretty, you ask? When you head to Van's it can. And supporting local businesses is pretty awesome. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment