Sunday, October 31, 2010

Private. KEEP OUT.


A blog is like a diary.

First, you have to find the perfect format for your diary. Will it be a leather bound, parchment journal? Something spiral bound with horses and rainbows? Or maybe an online folder?

Next, you have to commit to writing in the diary and sharing your point of view. This usually means deciding to write a certain number of times per week or at a particular time of the day.

Then, you find a safe place to hide your deepest, darkest thoughts about death, love, and indigestion. These are thoughts you might not even share with your best friend or lover. Some people keep their diary under lock and key or under their pillow, or in the back of their underwear drawer.

A blog is like a diary. Except blogs aren't hidden under pillows; they are intentionally published for all of the world to see. We take our thoughts, feelings, and perspectives, and we put them on display. We can be scrutinized, chastised, complimented, or attacked for our feelings.

My feelings about my blog have vacillated. Sometimes I feel quite profound. I assume people are sitting in their beds, with the covers pulled up tight, reading my blog with tears in their eyes or laughing hysterically. Other times, I can't imagine why anyone would want to read what I am writing. The writing isn't quite right. The point of view is generic and watered down. I have realized, I have the hardest time writing quality blogs when I am writing about something I don't feel comfortable being candid about in such a public forum.

A blog might be a lot like a diary, but there is one big difference: privacy. I am not shy about sharing my opinions, am outgoing, and enjoy the company of people. Most would say I am an open book. But I would say there are very few I share my true thoughts and feelings with. I am reasonably private. Blogging has been challenging for me, because there are many times I feel I am sharing too much.

Today's question: Is a blog an appropriate place to share your true voice or an inappropriate example of TMI?

2 comments:

  1. I think the skilled writer always uses her true voice, but is able to convey more about her inner thoughts than the actual words she chooses might indicate. I am loving your blog, and proud of your dedication to it!

    ReplyDelete