Monday, September 5, 2011

In the Know: Labor Day



Did you know Labor Day "celebrates the economic and social contributions of workers." Wikipedia. You thought it just meant 50% off sales and hot dogs, didn't you? Oregon was the first state to celebrate Labor Day and it became a federal holiday in 1894.

I started thinking about Labor Day on Friday when my associate was on the phone with a vendor. He asked her if we were getting off early for Labor Day weekend. She replied that we were self-employed and didn't take off such holidays. (Just so you know, my associate has today off. I am not that hard core.)

I got to thinking about what Labor Day means to me. Being the Proprietress of Bon Lemon, Labor Day isn't about getting a day off (why would you want to do that?) or better working conditions (the boss is a real tart...). I respect the sacrifices those before me made to ensure safe, reasonable work environments. I think the pendulum has swung and at times we risk rallying for entitlement. To me, Labor Day is about the desire to be respected. If employers respect their employees and employees respect their jobs, we are living up to the memory of those who died fighting for worker's rights. Because, we are all "laborers."

I feel privileged to employ someone. I hope Bon Lemon grows and there are hundreds of us working hard together, with mutual respect.

Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment