Saturday, March 10, 2012

I Am Inspiration



I have always been a seeker. And I have always considered myself a leader. And I have always hoped to lead by example. As a child, I always asked why. (Sorry mom.) As a young adult, I was the president of different student groups, traveled the world, and attended all sorts of different classes and experiences to expand the scope of my life. Today, I love tasting new foods, traveling to exotic places, creating businesses, understanding and enjoying people for who they are, and wearing lots of sparkly things (duh).

I have always believed I could create anything in my life, but I always got hung up on the path from point A to point B. After participating in The Landmark Forum I found that path or lack-there-of to be much more clear. (For those of you who are curious or those of you who think Landmark is a bunch of crazy kool-aid drinkers, an unbiased, succinct summary of the course can be found here.)

I now believe in who I am and what that means. Big stuff! This has allowed me to look at Bon Lemon in a whole new way. Previously, I was stuck trying to do the right thing. I wanted to take Bon Lemon from point A to point B, and I wanted to do it right. Whatever that means... I completely ignored the wonderful things we were already doing and living and only focused on those things we had not yet achieved. It was paralyzing us.

Bon Lemon has done so many great things in the past year and a half. We have added sparkle to many people's lives through beautiful baubles, charitable donations, shoulders to cry on, champagne drinking, sharing delicious eats, having heated political discussions, exchanging wardrobe advice, swapping babysitting services, sending sweet notes in the mail, having pride in our pretty packaging, happy talks, sad moments, and all of the experiences that have made up the last 621 ish days.

Bon Lemon is me, the Proprietress, Jill, the gal who laid the groundwork for it all, Peta, Kathy, Annie, John, Tyler, Chelsea, every person we have met, every person we will meet, our right moves, our missteps, inspiration, disappointment, the best baubles, and the one's that are best left for Grannies in Palm Beach (and you know we love Grannies in Palm Beach). Bon Lemon is everything we are and everything we will be. And Bon Lemon is you, our beloved Lemon Lovers.

I recently discovered what I want to be in life. I want to be inspiration. Some of you have blessed my life by sharing with me how Bon Lemon has inspired your life in the whirlwind since we opened our doors: Bon Lemon inspired you to follow your passion, to be an entrepreneur, to spend more "fun" time with friends, to get involved in the fashion industry, to develop self confidence, to give up a "safe" career you hate, to put on another accessory, and to give back. Bon Lemon has made you think, maybe, YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL.

Bon Lemon isn't going to change the world because we have a Black Friday sale and sell three more pairs of earrings. We are going to change the world because we inspire people. And as I said in a previous post, I believe to inspire people you have to live with guts. You have to put yourself out there. So, I would like to share with you the possibility I am creating for myself and Bon Lemon. It's a little scary, because it is BIG. Kind of like telling people you want to be Mother Teresa or Brett Favre. Or that you like bad music. Or hot dogs. People might laugh at you. Or think you are dumb. Or arrogant. But I hope sharing my possibility might inspire you to create a possibility for yourself. (Please share if you do, otherwise I am out on this limb all by myself!) Here goes... This is my possibility:

I will be a sparkly leader who inspires others to create productive, fulfilling, exciting, engaging, balanced workplaces, communities, families, and lives.

To me, living this possibility is clear. Bon Lemon is creating a large organization to employ many people in fulfilling, inspiring positions. We believe fulfilling employment is a powerful mechanism for empowerment and social change. Bon Lemon is creating a large organization that believes in altruistic capitalism and giving back. Bon Lemon will foster personal and professional growth, based on the belief that both are crucial to productivity and happiness. Bon Lemon will inspire living with joie de vivre. With the help of Bon Lemon, I will be a good friend, curious traveler, loving daughter, helpful sister, inspiring employer, spring board of a partner, fun dog owner, charismatic leader, concerned citizen, open minded volunteer, fair restaurant critic, daring fashion plate, and so many more things I haven't even discovered yet.

That is the possibility I have created. Thank you for being part of it. Now tell me what is possible for you?

6 comments:

  1. You inspired me from day one! I am taking baby steps towards balance especially in light of significant warning signs that I have not been in balance. It has been a big awakening for me! Throwing out well embedded perceptions of who I am, or what I am supposed to do are beginning to take a different form. I am proud of my accomplishments, but now it is time to develop myself, even @ this late date in life. Why do I feel enabled? You! Here's to you for not only being successful and a visionary, but a vivid light in those of us who used to say, "I can't do that..." In other words, Thank you!

    I love Sparkly leaders!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see what develops! Thank you for your comments. It makes it all mean something to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud to be part of this! <3 you amy!

    ReplyDelete