Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Advocaat: Dutch Eggnog



Advocaat or Dutch Eggnog is a creamy yellow liqueur made from a rich blend of egg yolks, sugar, cognac, vanilla, and a pinch of cardamom and salt. The Netherlands exports this drink to over 50 countries.

I first sampled Dutch Eggnog at Swing Wine Bar in Olympia. I overheard the bartender talking about special holiday drinks, and this one caught my ear. You only drink about a shot of it and you don't really drink it at all. It is so thick, you eat it with a spoon.

Clearly, any cocktail that doubles as a dessert has my vote, so I tried it out. Delicious! Quite cognac-ey, but buttery and delicious. Like pudding, only better. Turns out, the mixologist at Swing had recently published the recipe, and I decided to make some for Thanksgiving brunch dessert. (I believe dessert should be served with every meal.)

So tomorrow, for brunch we will dine on Montana Ham (enjoyed in Lincoln and the Whitehouse alike), fresh biscuits (boyfriend's foodie sister's recipe), yellow corn grits (prepared according to a favorite southerner's explicit directions), pears with manouri sheep/goat cheese and olive oil, and Advocaat served in my cute little Turkish coffee cups I carried back from Istanbul.

And that's just brunch. Oh how I love Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. I love your multicultural Thanksgiving menu ... any meal including grits is aok by this Southern gal. And I MUST try take that eggnog. Eggnog in all forms is my favorite ... last year, I froze 12 cartons of eggnog in hopes of enjoying a splash in my coffee yearround. Do not do as I did. Eggnog does not, in the words of Darryl Hannah, "freeze beautifully."

    Happy Thanksgiving, darling! I'm thankful you befriended me during bar review.

    ReplyDelete