Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Holy Mackerel!



This pun has been used and overused many times, but there might be some truth to it.

My dad has been trying to get us all to eat sardines, kippered snacks, and mackerel for ages. I have never developed a love affair with the small fish, but I recognize their health benefits and think they are reasonably tasty. I heard an interview on NPR (yes, libertarians listen to NPR) awhile back discussing mackerel and other small fish. They were touting them as the wonder fish. (Dang. Dad was right again.) Good for you, good for the environment. Woo hoo!

Since I have been dabbling with this whole paleo thing. And by dabbling I mean, not really dabbling. Remember the blog on eating at gas stations? Um, yeah. Not paleo. And the La Brea bread I had this morning with Kerrygold butter and Glacier County Honey. Afraid not. Anyway, we can't be perfect all of the time. More honestly, since I have occasionally eaten paleo meals, I have been looking for creative ideas. My dad makes these yummy salads with cabbage and vegetables. They are tasty. So today, I whipped one up, and I put some Cole's Piripiri Mackerel on top.

If you have ever found sardines or kippered snacks bland, you are in for a treat. Cole's is the creme de la creme of canned, small fish. They have lots of flavors and the Piripiri was spicy and delicious. If you have been trying to convince yourself to eat more of these tasty little critters, because you are worried about the mercury levels of larger fish or the overfishing of salmon, etc., give Cole's products a try. I got them at the Olympia Food Co-Op, but you can buy them online. Check out colestrout.com.

If you want to read more about mackerel, these have some good info.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5551693

http://geniuscook.com/mackerel/

1 comment:

  1. My Dad was also a fan of small,canned fish, especially sardines. I will look for the Cole's mackerel in Whitefish.

    ReplyDelete